This is a draft of my EPK.
Researching other EPK's, the term is extremely broad. Some EPK's are basically websites, while others are simply Word documents with all the information necessary included. I opted for a folder-based structure, one that I can update easily and change as the information and materials change. I may go for a more "designed" one later, but for now, this has most of the information one would need.
Included is:
- EPK PDF: All text based information, like synopsis, logline, website info, crew bios, FAQ, and a Filmmaker's Statement. Perhaps it would be better to have those things as separate pdfs...
- INTERIOR PROMO MATERIAL: This is where all the posters, logos, and designs are.
- INTERIOR PROMO STILLS: This is where the production stills are. Right now, I only have one, and it isn't very compelling. Once the film is in a more complete form, I'll know the stand out moments and images to choose from. I've also included BTS pics.
- INTERIOR VIDEOS: This is where completed clips and scenes will go. Right now we only have one scene in binaural audio, but there will be more later.
Zachary,
ReplyDeleteWhile I admittedly don't know much about EPKs, I think your work looks very professional and definitely seems in line with the EPKs I have seen. I do have one question--how come sometimes in your EPK you capitalize the entire title of Séance and sometimes you don't? Is it to draw more attention to it sometimes and not as much attention otherwise? Is this a film thing? Does the entire title not always get capitalized because it's a short film? I am curious about this.
One thing I would suggest - take out the part where you address whether or not the binaural sound is a gimmick. I know it's hard not to head off the haters in advance, but it creates a defensive tone and points out an aspect of the video that people may not have thought about in the first place. I ran into this a lot with my thesis, where I would start off by defending against any potential criticism people might have. What I was really doing was creating a negative, anti context for the piece. I was telling people what NOT to look at/assume/think about in the video and we all know how that works...it ends up being all they look at/assume/think about.
ReplyDeleteIt seems counter intuitive, but even though you are telling people it's NOT a gimmick, what you are really doing is telling them that it could be a gimmick and you're worried about it.
Just my two cents.
The rest of the EPK is pro as usual, Mr. Beckler! Nice work.
Looks good and straightforward, Zach. My only potentially negative thought is that the item in the FAQ about the majority of home viewers using headphones begs for a source, but that just may be my journalism background.
ReplyDelete