1. Identify a personal weakness in your usage of social
media. It can be specific to your film project or a more general issue. How
will you address and correct this issue? List some short term and long-term
goals for this mission.
The biggest
weakness in my marketing plan is that I wont be building an audience early
enough. Of course “early enough” is contingent upon my goals especially since goals
set the method of measurement for conversion rates. For example if I want to
have 300 subscriptions by the end of launch week it is fair to say that I am
not starting early enough. For my purposes, my project is not seeking funding
and is not asking for anything except perhaps ad engagement. Originally this
was my reason for being fine with the idea of doing an all in one release. The
reason for this is an attempt to be artistically free from monetary limitations
and also to relieve the burden of ideas like what is right and what is wrong to
do. I’m also banking on the idea of a gift economy, which the free and open Internet
is. And if Google continues to develop in the direction they are going it will
only become freer and more easily accessible.
To address this
weakness I will make 10 tutorials earlier than planned. In my marketing plan I
intended to release tutorials alongside my animation. Now I would like to have
Flash tutorials prepared as early as November. This will be my gift to my
potential audience and create opportunity to have community dialogue.
Short Term Goals
-Research high viewership Flash tutorials
-Write
Flash tutorials based on research. Provide more clarity and higher video
quality.
-Develop
a document for an intensive character animation tutorial
-Be
reflexive about tutorial criticisms
Long
Term
-Develop
and shoot character animation Tutorial
-Gain
insight into YouTube channel trends
-Move
to AS3 animation
I have mixed feelings about this
issue. On one hand some researchers insist that early engagement is crucial to
building a sustainable audience that will result in positive conversion rates. On
the other hand there is no reason to use social media tools when you have no original
content. Without original content I think you are posting web hash. For example I can share non-original content but I would simply be
farming by redirecting from the original post or linking to the original post
thereby directing the viewer away from my site. Many people make money this
way. For example some well-known visible ones are the spam channels on
Facebook. They may contain a universal message or simply a repost of something viral
from Digg or YouTube. In a way it is often just plagiarism designed to get
subs, likes, views and such. In the end they appeal to human emotions to get a
share or view but they are cheap tricks that can take something real like a
Buddhist tenant or good life advice and turn them into fortune cookie messages.
If however I shared a scholarly article about Michael Mann(The Hockey Stick
scientist) and then provided scholarly commentary about my understanding of climate
science, complete with sources and I
link in such a way to cite the original article(a true share) then I have
created new content and promoted a knowledgeable scientist. But then we are
back at this idea of original content as my commentary and insight is original
whether it confirms or challenges Mann’s work.
I think that early engagement can
be done properly but we must acknowledge that you would simply be farming and
if you are doing it fairly then you run a risk of them clicking on your page
and then proceeding immediately to the original. So what’s the point and what
do they mean start early? If I make original content now then I’ve started and
if I haven’t then I’m most likely exercising bad Internet conduct. So by the
definition laid out in the blog series at The Collaborative, Social
Media Basics, early engagement is the idea that you should create content
before you ask for things.
This blog series is a good example
of how some ideas about social media are paradoxical in concept. For example
everyone knows you are selling a product or looking for subscriptions or simply
viewership, so it is important not to try and disguise a push or share as
engaging content that simply promotes your product. The author makes this
point and reminds us that viewers can see through it. The author calls this “advertising” in Myth #5 of The
Myths article. What they are actually describing in Myth #5 is disruptive
ad placement. In reality disruptive ad placement is simply a type of practice
included under the whole umbrella of advertising and not actually advertising
itself. In Myth #1 the author reminds us that social media engagement is a form
of advertising, which is a direct contradiction to what he says in Myth #5
unless of course you address the difference between ads and disruptive ads.
The article makes some really good
points but also expresses some dogmatic ideas about social media. When we talk
about social media we are talking about organic trends in human behavior. Not
one human but many, many humans. When you look at success online whether it is
Freddie Wong, Felicia Day or a Nike viral video, they all arrived at a place of
success by very different methods. Only Nike had a fully funded and seeded
advertising campaign while Wong half rode video game endorsements and worked
his ass off in After Effects and Day just made a YouTube show.
2. After reading a third article of your choice from this
series: either Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter - outline a plan for how you will
utilize that media outlet in your own project, as a tool for
distribution specifically. If you haven't blogged about it yet, include any
marketing you have already done on the site and what you will do in the next 1
to 2 years, using that site.
2) YouTube will be my primary tool for distribution. First
we will start cold by setting up a channel possibly called Flash Action Hero.
The channel will be oriented around one purpose, Flash Professional animation
tutorials. When the channel is launched it will have ten videos ready for
implementation about common misconceptions about Flash. We will invite users to
request topics for future videos. Research indicates that the comments will
likely be flooded with several types of posts. Most commonly they fall under
video criticisms, content criticisms, “please help” appeals about specific software
questions, topic suggestions, thank yous and trolls. This will be a good way to
begin dialogue and show viewers we are ready to move forward with more free
tutorials on topics they vote on. This research will help with the much more
intense and difficult to organize character tutorials.
After viewership proves to be a thing we will begin
announcing the actual animation and entice people with a preview and other art
materials. Once the first few animation episodes are in place we will launch
them simultaneous to a tutorial and animation advertising campaign described in
previous posts.
Ultimately I believe the tutorials may always receive more
viewership than the actual animation. If the animation receives positive
feedback the two-year plan involves the development and completion of
additional script pages.
We plan to utilize
playlists to header topics with an original video and then point to numerous
examples. For example a playlist may begin with, The Principles of Animation
and then have a list of five videos of beautiful animations. The playlist will
also be a way of endorsing affiliates and two endear other indie developers in
animation to endorse our project as well.
Ultimately there will be one channel with as much semantic
design built in as possible. The goal is to redirect users to the website, a
playlist, video channel or affiliated channel as much as possible.
Regular protocol
-One time, 3 month add campaign
YouTube
Partners, Bling, Yahoo
-Daily comment response
Each video
will come with a promise that any relevant question posed within two weeks of a
video publication will receive a response. This will encourage subs.
Good stuff, Andrew. I like the tutorials, and am trying to figure out a way to do something similar (the world of regular microbudget shooting may not be as novel for tutorials as flash, though - and I'm not as technically inclined, so they'd have to be of a different nature). I've also struggled with the notion of how much of a push you can make without any content. But I think you're going about it the right way, building an audience for you and your skills, and then redirecting them to the newest product you've created.
ReplyDeleteAndrew,
ReplyDeleteYou've given me some food for thought about the whole idea of reposting/sharing unoriginal content as "farming." Part of my Facebook marketing plan includes sharing related content that I didn't necessarily create, but I understand the need to contribute to the discussion by adding something new to whatever it is that I am sharing. In the past, I've usually just included my opinion via brief editorial/introductory comments, but what you propose--scholarly discussion of scholarly material citing scholarly sources--sounds downright revolutionary for Facebook! I like it--it seems like a way to resist the dumbing down tendencies of social media. I'm going to refer to it as "smarting up." ;)
I know what we are doing is not farming but it's more the fact that people tend to navigate away from your page and to the content which doesnt typically result in conversions.
ReplyDeleteMy biggest thing with FB is that most studies show that it is only good for keeping a converted audience informed. For example people who are following you may not be sensitive to your blog or may have opted out of email notices(email drives people crazy) but FB is a good way to update especially with last minute events or reminders. In terms of advertising unless you pay, the EdgeRank algorithm purposely makes itself next to useless for finding an audience. I mean useless. FB is guilty of making what is referred to as the "filter bubble." The only exception I've seen is Wildfire which I dont know much about but its like a contest system on FB that gets new views. One of the coolest forms of ranking is Reddits algorithm which I believe is a collection called HackerNews. I don't pretend to know the math but the visualizations are interesting and it gives you an idea how much a bad algorithm or poorly seeded project will flop: http://amix.dk/blog/post/19588
The fact is everyone who spends ten hours a week on Reddit usually knows everythin up-worthy on the Internet before you do as in the read it already...you know cause they Reddit.
Video on filter bubbles:
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html
I know what we are doing is not farming but it's more the fact that people tend to navigate away from your page and to the content which doesnt typically result in conversions.
ReplyDeleteMy biggest thing with FB is that most studies show that it is only good for keeping a converted audience informed. For example people who are following you may not be sensitive to your blog or may have opted out of email notices(email drives people crazy) but FB is a good way to update especially with last minute events or reminders. In terms of advertising unless you pay, the EdgeRank algorithm purposely makes itself next to useless for finding an audience. I mean useless. FB is guilty of making what is referred to as the "filter bubble." The only exception I've seen is Wildfire which I dont know much about but its like a contest system on FB that gets new views. One of the coolest forms of ranking is Reddits algorithm which I believe is a collection called HackerNews. I don't pretend to know the math but the visualizations are interesting and it gives you an idea how much a bad algorithm or poorly seeded project will flop: http://amix.dk/blog/post/19588
The fact is everyone who spends ten hours a week on Reddit usually knows everythin up-worthy on the Internet before you do as in the read it already...you know cause they Reddit.
Video on filter bubbles:
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html
Andrew,
ReplyDeleteThanks for raising these points! This has been a common theme throughout our Marketing assignments and it's why I feel a group discussion would be beneficial. I look forward to talking more about these ideas next week!
Andrew,
ReplyDeleteThanks for raising these points! This has been a common theme throughout our Marketing assignments and it's why I feel a group discussion would be beneficial. I look forward to talking more about these ideas next week!