Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Payam, Blog 2 - Candler List


I’m asking myself, how I usually choose a movie to watch. I’m talking about indie movies. Have I ever checked their websites to decide to watch the movies?
Have I ever checked their blog posts or Facebook pages to see if they encourage me to pick up that movie? Never!
What does make me to pick up an indie movie to watch?
If they don’t have some full nudity, rape and violent scenes then the answer would be, their good reviews, festival awards and audiences rate. That means the movies that they had a chance of some kind of the theatrical screening or a successful online release. For example, the ones that could get into some well-known online film services like Netflix, ITunes and so on. My point is, instead of spending time to create that kind of online concepts that nobody won’t take a look at them, it would be better to find a way to get into some well-known festivals and online services or if you can convince a sales agency to work on your movie.  Otherwise, most likely, your parents and your close friends will watch your movie!

However, it is obvious that it doesn’t mean I don’t need to create and have the synopsis, posters, trailer, and press kit, and so on to market my movie when the time comes.

Ms. Candler’s list works well when you have enough money to call and ask her to handle it for you! So because I don’t have that much money, a short version of this list will be doable for me.


Pre-Production (two-four week timeframe)

Source an on set photographer and set schedule for those days. Also arrange for a videographer to shoot separate video content for later use.

I will definitely have one person to do both on set.

-Draft a synopsis – paragraph, 3 lines (100 words) and one line versions (20 words) for festival submissions, website/social media sites, press kit, media inclusions etc.

I wrote the first draft of the synopsis. But now, it’s old and should be revised.

- having the contact list of human rights activists, bloggers and organizations that they work in Afghanistan issues will be one of my priorities. Because my movie relates to Afghanistan War and human rights condition in Afghanistan, I have very clear core audiences that I can target them.

Production (six week timeframe)

During this time we will be busy with the principal shooting. So writing content for website and digital press kit, researching for appropriate festivals and so on will be done in post-production. 

The website has launched already.

Post Production (4-6 months before release)

1. A mix of scene shots and a few behind scenes
2. Digital press kit
3. Trailer
4. List of appropriate festivals
5. Posters, postcards, business cards.
6. DVDs


Release (6-12 months)

When we have all necessary marketing materials,

1. Submitting for the festivals.
2. Emailing and contacting human rights activists, bloggers and organizations for their support. We will send the DVD copies of the movie for them.
3. Using social networks, like the Facebook page, to engage fans and asking for their support. We will share all online marketing materials on the website, FB page and will link them to other social networks, like Twitter and Pinterest.
4. Contacting sales agency and distribution companies.
5. Setting up own digital distribution outlet on website.

No comments:

Post a Comment